
“Despite considerably more knowledge, tools and resources, the trajectory of pandemic risk is moving in the wrong direction,” the report says.
The Global Preparedness Monitoring Board specifically calls out declining pandemic preparedness funding as a result of faltering political attention. The report says countries are investing less in global health and systemic resilience, making “the potential impact of future outbreaks significantly greater.” While it doesn’t mention President Donald Trump by name, his administration recently redirected $2 billion in global health funding to cover the cost of shuttering USAID, the agency responsible for leading the country’s global efforts to combat infectious disease. Analysis from the Health Security Policy Academy says the funding cut could lead to an estimated 121,000 preventable deaths from tuberculosis, and at least 47,600 preventable deaths from malaria.
Whether leaders heed the board’s advice. Monday’s report makes several recommendations for how political leaders and stakeholders can “change the trajectory of global preparedness” by establishing independent pandemic risk monitoring, enforcing policies to ensure countries have equitable access to pandemic countermeasures and establishing sustainable financing “not subject to annual political negotiation.”
Global eyes turned to pandemic preparedness this month after an outbreak of a rare and deadly hantavirus strain on a cruise ship killed three people. Exposed passengers from the cruise had departed and returned to their homes around the world before health officials knew of the outbreak, prompting alarm in a half-dozen countries as several people tested positive for the contagious hantavirus variant. Global health officials have continuously warned that the variant, called Andes, would not cause another pandemic for several reasons—largely its need for close, prolonged contact to spread—but the incident still sparked fears and led to a worldwide contact tracing and containment effort that, so far, seems to have been successful. More than a dozen cruise passengers who returned to America last week are in isolation at the National Quarantine Unit in Nebraska, where they’ll be for weeks to come as they wait out the 42-day incubation period for the virus. The WHO on Saturday also declared an ongoing Ebola outbreak in Africa an “extraordinary” public health emergency, though it has not reached pandemic criteria, and marks the 17th Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in the past half century, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This story was originally published on forbes.com and all figures are in USD.
Want to see more Forbes articles on your feed? Tap here to make Forbes Australia a preferred source on Google.
Look back on the week that was with hand-picked articles from Australia and around the world. Sign up to the Forbes Australia newsletter here or become a member here.